Dr Riëtte du Preez
A Little Bit About Riëtte
I am a born Free Stater but grew up in the big city and have called Johannesburg home for most of my life. Growing up in a big, close-knit family is something that has not only shaped me, but also equipped me with many skills and provided for many fond memories that I treasure.
I am a mother to two girls and wife to my high-school sweetheart.
My greatest learning has been from my own (very) imperfect life, which I am grateful to share with dear friends, colleagues and most of all a loving family.
Why I Became a Psychiatrist
I certainly didn’t know from a young age that I wanted to be a psychologist. I however have always known that I want to be in a “helping profession”. My initial dream to become a doctor, evolved into me pursuing a degree in Physiology and Psychology. My career path developed as I matured as I was fortunate to settle in the field of psychology, which in many respects has been a dream come true. I am a naturally curious person and the privilege of having people share their life stories with me, and trusting me to guide them on their journey towards health, has been tremendously rewarding.
My Interests and Focus Areas
- Dementia/Memory difficulties
- Postpartum depression
- Medical trauma, chronic and/or terminal illness
- Relationship difficulties,marital problems, infidelity
- Adjustment to life changes (i.e birth of a child, retrenchment, retirement etc.)
- Diagnosis and management of dementia and cognitive decline in the elderly
- Pre-and post-diagnostic counselling for families of patients with dementia
- Intern Clinical Psychologist – Sterkfontein Psychiatric Hospital (2011)
- Community Service Psychologist – Rahima Moosa Mother & Child Hospital (2012)
- Clinical Psychologist in Private Practice (2013 – current)
- Consulting clinical psychologist – Memorycare team (2013-current)
- Part-time lecturer/facilitator (Human Resources); University of Johannesburg (2007-2012)
Credentials and Training
- BSc Psychology & Physiology (Cum Laude); NWU, 2006.
- BSc Honours Psychology (Cum Laude); NWU, 2007.
- MA Clinical Psychology; UNISA, 2010.
- Certificate in Occupationally Directed Education, Training & Development; UJ, 2008.
- Relevant courses/workshops completed: Dialectical behavioural therapy; Practical Cognitive Behavioural Therapy;Neuroimaging, neuropathology & neurochemistry; Transactional Analysis.